Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just Peachy

We ended our kid free weekend with a drive to Fredericksburg, or rather around Fredericksburg to get us some peaches!  Kyle was able to find a website that lists all the places near Fredericksburg to buy peaches as well as list of where you can pick your own, in doing this he located a place we had previously picked our own peaches and had never been able to find again.

I like a peach okay, but these peaches you get from the Texas hill country are better than candy, I love these peaches, and really once they're gone I kind of avoid the grocery store peaches because they only depress me.  Kyle decided that this year we were going to get a half bushel, that's a lot for those who need a more technical description.  So we packed up our big box of peaches and went on our way, a quick stop at my favorite antique furniture store in Comfort, then we were back to a family of four.  Where it very quickly went from, 'I'm so glad to see you' to 'Please stop yelling and whining we'll be home soon.'

The main reason Kyle wanted to get a half bushel of peaches was so that I could make my peach cobbler about 20 times, yes it's that good.  The first year we ever got Texas hill country peaches we stopped at a road side stand set up by a farmer.  With the peaches the farmer's wife gave us her peach cobbler recipe.  It is probably the most prized recipe I have, I suppose a peach farmer's wife has a lot of resources available to her to perfect her peach cobbler recipe.

Did I tell you it's good.  It is, as in she's on my list of people who's line I will stand in in heaven to say, 'thank you!' :)

I'm off now to help handyman Kyle in his peach and peach/jalapeno jam making session, but don't worry before I go, the cobbler recipe:

Ingredients:
-3c. sliced (peeled) fresh peaches
-1 Tbsp. lemon juice
-1 c. sifted flour (I don't sift and it works fine for me)
-1 c. sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-1 egg beaten
-6 Tbsp. butter, melted
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
-Place peaches on the bottom of a 10x6x1 1/2 baking dish (I use a 8x8).  Sprinkle with lemon juice.
-Sift flour, sugar, and salt together.
-Add egg, tossing with fork, until crumbly.
-Sprinkle flour/egg mixture over peaches.
-Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon (I just eyeball the cinnamon).
-Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hill country peaches!! heaven indeed...we found many roadsides in borne with fredericksburg peaches! now that we are in SA, i need to get the ball rolling too with preseving them! jenny petter