Thursday, August 8, 2013

My one defense, my righteousness

Yesterday was a hard day.  I could give a list of excuses (the heat, the months of all kids all the time, the busyness) but lets' be honest, it boils down to this, I am a sinner.  A sinner so very thankful for grace, because if this gift of salvation, of eternity in heaven with Him, had anything to do with me, even the me now who is walking with the Lord and has the Holy Spirit inside of me, it would have disappeared a long time ago.

When Kyle came home ready to celebrate his birthday, the dinner I had planned for him was still in the early stages and I had been interrupted so many times I lost my cool.  He walked in a said in his kindest tone, are you okay, I could hearing you yelling at Kylynn out in the front yard.  Oh yeah, I had blown it big time, I was yelling so loud at her out back that my husband could hear us in the front, which meant others could hear us to, others who I profess Jesus to and hope someday they will be willing to listen to the story of what He's done for me.

I started to despair, I started to hear the words of the enemy accusing me, telling me I was a failure at this mom thing, at this Christian thing, at all of it.  But I had spent the week wrapped up in truth, I had been immersing myself every chance I got in listening to a Tony Evans podcast, I had been diving into the word, and praying in an effort to remain sane, as life began to grind me down.  For the first time in a long time I had actually put on the full armor of God and I could feel a difference.  I heard what the deceiver was telling me but it was merely a whisper, instead truth jumped to my mind, quickly and loudly.

I could see the going ons of heaven and it brought me such peace.  I saw the courtroom where our heavenly Father, in complete holiness and justice, sits on the throne.  I could see Satan come before him and list my sins, the ones I had just committed, that demanded punishment from a just God, demanding I be punished.  But then Jesus interceded for me, "excuse me Father, that one she is mine, see right here her name is written in my book.  And that sin yes, sin # 10,429,934, I see it right here, and written next to it is 'paid.'  And the one she did right after that sin # 10,429,935, also paid, and the one Satan is going to bring to your attention in five minutes sin # 10,429,936, she hasn't done it yet, but it too is paid.  I have paid her debt, the penalty she owes has been paid by my death on the cross, she does not owe a thing.

I was able to see the situation correctly, I was able to see myself correctly.  I stopped and I asked for forgiveness, for help to repent from the sin of yelling that I often fall into.  I found my daughter and asked for her forgiveness for what I had done, and I moved on.  I sang the song that has been my anthem this summer, "I need you, oh I need you!  Every hour I need you.  My one defense, my righteousness.  Oh God how I need you!"  I made dinner, I loved my children, I celebrated my husband, and I made a mental note that immersing myself in God's word needs to always be the priority in my life, that it is the difference in living this life well and living a life of defeat.

Lord, I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the One that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

Where sin runs deep Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are
And where You are, Lord, I am free
Holiness is Christ in me

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

Teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus, You're my hope and stay

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

You're my one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You
written by: Matt Maher

5 comments:

Lori B. said...

So much truth, as usual Jenny. Thanks for sharing. I love to read your posts.

Christine said...

Beautiful post and a wonderful reminder to have that priority!

Ms.Pam said...

Thanks for sharing your heart with such transparency. Your posts always bless me.

Walsh Family said...

thankful once again for your blog posts

Heather H said...

This morning i meant to tell you how quietly and calmly you were speaking to the kids! I have been struggling with yelling and I am thankful for your post!!