Thursday, September 16, 2010

Discipline


I've begun running.  Well, kind of running/walking with a little more walking than running, okay a lot more walking than running.  But it's getting easier everyday and I love it.

So far I have not dropped a single pound or morphed into one of those runners that I always look at with such admiration.  You know the ones who are tall and thin and can run mile after mile looking like they're out for a leisurely stroll.  No I am quite the opposite, one of those runners who people look at and can tell that this is very hard for me.  I'm sure my form is all wrong, it makes me jiggle in places those real runners never jiggle, and I am breathing like air is about to exit this planet and I need to take in as much as possible before it's all gone.

My friend was doing the couch potato to 5k program and invited me to come along, it makes me get up at the crack of dawn, something that is nearly impossible for me without the accountability.  This program is great, my friend has it on her iphone and it talks to us and tells us when to walk and when to run.  I would like to say however the name is a little misleading, and it should be changed to "relatively healthy and at least moderately active to 5k."  I am no couch potato, I rarely find the time to sit and watch TV but this program is kicking my butt.

It's about time that I let my butt get kicked though.  I've become to satisfied with the status quo since having children, not taking the time to do much of anything to feel good about my health or the way I look.  I somewhere along the line decided that if I couldn't find enough time to get everything done, I would cut out any time I spent on myself to fit in all the time that the kiddos, the house, the handyman hubby, and anyone else needed.

God is trying to teach me some things about discipline right now and I'm finally ready to learn.

No comments: