Monday, September 27, 2010

The ballots have been counted


So I have gotten my first award for blogging, okay it's really more of a shout out from a fellow blogger, but it still made me happy.  It especially made me happy because my new blog friend Elizabeth gave it to me.  Elizabeth blogs over at Romans 8:15 and she has one biological son and one son that joined their family through (Korean) adoption.  So we've got that in common, but we've got even bigger things in common, like how I wouldn't have to explain to her how Edward Cullen caused me to be a neglectful mom for the two weeks I spent reading the Twilight series.  She has adorable kids, a haircut I wish I could pull off, and most of all she is real.  Every time I click over to her blog, I feel like I've had one of those really good talks with a girlfriend, you know the ones where you finally tear down the walls and just tell the truth, Elizabeth tells the truth about her experience with adoption, about how hard it can be and then just as quickly how wonderful it can the next minute.

Here are the guidelines:
  • Thank and link back to the person who gave you the award.
  • Share 7 things about yourself.
  • Pass the award along to 7 other bloggers who you recently discovered and think are fabulous

7 things about Jenny:

1. I believe on beautiful days, like today, where the temperature finally catches up with the calendar, in throwing open every window.  I believe firmly that those windows should stay open through the night, even if it gets into the 50s, so that you can finally use your comforter again.  I believe on these days that every possible activity should be done outside.

2. I coupon.  I am not a master-couponer but I understand how they do it.  I do match sales and coupons, but only on those things I will use, I do plan my meals around what is on sale to a point, and I do stock pile things that I can get for free or near free when I get the chance.  I manage to save around 25 to 30% off of my bill every week doing these things.  If  you live in a big city and don't use your coupons, I would LOVE to have them, send them to me!

3. The grass is always greener when it comes to my hair.  I seem to constantly go from this hair cut:

to this hair cut:


and back again.  I always like my hair more when it is short, but for some reason seem to forget that and see how beautiful celebrities' long hair looks and grow it out for a year, then sure enough as soon as it's long again, I can't wait to chop it all off.  I have issues.

4.  When I was 5 and graduating from pre-school I wore knee-socks on my hands.  Yes, you read that right.  You see I had a thing about Miss Piggy.  I thought she was beautiful and I especially loved the clothes that she wore.  Here purple ball gown, with the elbow length purple gloves, and pearls was my favorite.  So when it came time for a major event in my life like pre-school graduation, I thought something similar to Miss Piggy's ball gown was in order.  My mom wouldn't get me elbow gloves, she's normal like that, so I snuck some knee-socks in my back pack, and the rest is history.  

5. When I was in high school I had a thing for Elvis.  I really cannot explain this, it seems very odd to me now, but I thought he was "hot" (the young Elvis, not the old one) and I liked his music.  Of course millions of women agree with me, it's just that most of them actually lived while Elvis was alive, where I was born the year after he died (as I know from one of my many Elvis posters, I had hanging on my walls).

6. I have a degree in Sociology, I loved every minute of earning that degree, the classes I took made me want to get to keep learning for the rest of my life.  The problem is I don't want to do the things that one might do with a sociology degree.  It is only now in my 30s that I think I know what career(s) I could enjoy and I wonder how anyone can at the age of 18 decide well what they are to do for the rest of their lives.

7. I don't watch much TV, but every show that I watch (save one) is a reality show.  Some people feel this is something to be ashamed of, but I really couldn't care less.  These shows are like little documentaries (ok not really) which I also love and I really, really love watching and learning about people (see #6 above).  We don't have cable so these are the network ones that are relatively clean and watching them are some of the highlights of my week.

7 bloggers I would like to give the Versatile blogger award to (okay I only can think of 5, so 5 it is):
  • Charissa over at Highs and Ludlows, who writes about her life raising three girls (including one set of twins).  She loves me in real life and her blogs always make laugh, she is the craftiest person I know and she makes it all look easy.
  • Shannan over at Flower Patch Farmgirl, who writes about her life in the country, their journey God has called them to to simplify their life, and her three adorable children.  I cannot tell you enough how much you will enjoy her blog, she is the real deal when it comes to writing, her pictures will make you want to go stay with her, and her style is enviable.  She also is a fellow adoptive mother and right now is doing a series on Tuesdays to tell their story, such good stuff!
  • Pioneer Woman.  Ok, I know, everyone already knows who Pioneer Woman is and she would never know that I have bestowed this award on her seeing how she gets around 50,000 comments per post, but I love her, love her cooking, love her pictures, love her humor.
  • Heather over at Sit a Spell, who writes about their new journey living and serving in Haiti, her passion for fair trade, living on less, healthy living, and serving God in every area of their lives.  Check her out she will challenge you in a good way.
  • Emily over at in the hush of the moon, who writes beautiful, beautiful words everyday.  Her style always leaves me transported away to whatever place and time she is telling us about today.  She also started imperfect prose on Thursdays, check it out if you want to link up.
Ok so I think that does it, check some of these ladies out, many of them have become part of a community for me where I can be encouraged and lifted up, when I share a little back and forth with these women I remember that there are other people out there who are making these same life choices God has placed on my heart.

4 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

Thank you for the kind words! I agree that windows should be open--at home and in the car--on beautiful days. I, too, am a couponer! And I love your hair short! Also the knee socks on your hands thing? Brilliant! You were a resourceful preschooler!

Shannan Martin said...

1. I have the exact hair issue that you have. I'm currently in my "long" phase, but I doubt myself daily.

2. Reality tv - little documentaries. YES!!!! Love this.

3. Thank you for your sweet words. Honestly, it made my night. (And being in the company of Fee and Emily feels might fine, too!) I'm off to check out the other blogs you listed... :)

Hendrick Family said...

Thank you Jenny.

I loved reading more about you.

So glad to be on this journey with you.

And what beautiful kids!

Heather

Mommy Emily said...

oh Jenny... you bless me. i'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. you are always an encouragement. how i thank God for you. xo