Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Have I told you?


I think there are some things I've forgotten to tell y'all, some small things I wanted to blog about that got pushed to the side and forgotten. Since, I know you would hate to not know what's new with me, without further ado, here are some things I keep forgetting to tell you.

I have started making my own bread and popcorn at home. I haven't bought either from the store in a few months and I've loved this. I know making my own popcorn is saving me money, making the bread I'm not sure about, but I do know that I'm controlling what my bread is made of this way, no chemicals and only honey to sweeten it. We use our bread machine and there are hundreds of recipes online to choose from, depending on what you want to make. To make your own popcorn I use this recipe:
Fill a brown paper (lunch) bag with 1/4 cup of uncooked popcorn kernals. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes (listen and stop it if there is 3 seconds or more between pops). Season with butter and salt if you wish or just eat it plain.
I am re-thinking the places we spend our money. I feel a personal desire to shop at local stores where the people of this town that I love benefit directly and indirectly from my dollar, and as a bonus, have a much better shopping experience. I also am praying about the changes I need to make as far as not spending our money at stores that participate in actions that negatively affect people in the United States or globally. One of my goals this summer is to read some books on this topic, to further research places where I spend my money and to make sure that I am honoring God not just in what I buy but in who I buy it from. I'll share with you what I decide, and you will roll your eyes at me, but hey what can I say, it's just the way God made me :).

I finished my bike ride, well actually all four of us did. We rode 19 miles and I did it at a faster speed than I had during any of our training rides, I guess I'm more competitive than I thought because being in a group with all those people made me want to really push myself as hard as I could.

I know that this is a very unflatering picture of me...why didn't I take the helmet off for the picture, like I need something to make my head look even bigger! But that's just how much I love y'all, showing you the real me, even when I'm in my very tight (with extra padding on the butt, no less) bike shorts.

Finally in case this post was a little boring, here's a video of Jack dancing to Elmo and Chris Brown singing. Unfortunately I didn't grab the camera till the second time I played it for him, the first time he was dancing so much I thought he was going to fall off his stool.

No comments: