Sunday, January 9, 2011

Big boy bed



We've had in the plans for a while to purchase a bed for Jack so that we could get him out of the crib, first, because we hope to soon need it for Chloe and second, because he'll be three in two months, it's time.  But as cheapskates frugal people are known to do we've been putting it off because it involves spending money.

It hadn't really occurred to me to ask God to provide the beds, after all we could afford them, but one day last month I remember realizing just how much "stuff" we needed/wanted to complete a third bedroom for our children and to make our home more functional, and so I made a quick request that God would provide for us in one way or another what we needed for our home.

A few days later Kyle got off the phone and came and told me that he was speaking to his great aunt and she was soon to move to the northeast and wanted us to have the furniture from their guest room, which included two twin beds.  I immediately started crying, I was so touched and surprised that she would want to offer us anything and I was so overwhelmed with gratitude at how the Lord provides.  I won't get into all the details but I can tell you at least 90% of the furniture/household items we own were given to us by family, were found for great prices at a thrift stores, or put out to the curb by someone as trash.  I can see now how God has provided for us so that we would learn to depend on Him for our needs and as a way to provide the money for our adoptions.

Kyle went and picked up the beds on Christmas Eve and Jack was so ready to make that big step.  He is so excited to be a "big boy" who sleeps in a "big boy bed."  When we pray at night he likes me to lay down on his pillow too and while I pray he gets up and lays on my side and says, "you not leave me," in this adorable sing song voice he has when he thinks he's funny.

My favorite part of the big boy bed is that now I can cuddle with him!  I wouldn't mind reading a few books every night now, I don't even mind reading the Clifford ones.

1 comment:

everythingismeowsome said...

I love hearing stuff like this! What an awesome God we serve!