Thursday, March 27, 2008

What about the money?

Surprisingly one of the most common questions I am asked about our adoption is "How much does it cost!?" This is surprising to me because one, I was raised to not discuss money, and two, it never occurred to me that the money made any difference. This is not because I was born a millionaire :) but because of what God has taught me, time and time again, like today when He gave me a kitchen...

You see some wonderful friends had loaned us a play kitchen for the past year for Kylynn to play with and it become one of her favorite toys. Our friends' daughter is now old enough to enjoy her kitchen so it was time to return it. So online I went to see how much would it cost to buy one of these kitchens, a little more than I had available in the budget, so over to Craig's list I went, but there were none for sale. Then I remembered a story I read in our Crown bible study about a little boy who needed some shirts and his parents encourage him to pray and ask God for the shirts. So every night they prayed until out of the blue a friend called who worked at a clothing store and brought over 10 new shirts in the boy's size that the store needed to get rid of. The lesson was to not be so quick to buy everything but give God a chance to provide for us. So I prayed for a kitchen for Kylynn.

Then this morning Kyle called and told me he saw a toy kitchen out for the trash on his way to work and left a note to the owner asking if we could have it. They called him and were happy to have someone use the kitchen, instead of going to the trash. I just picked it up and it is a wonderful kitchen, even more than what I had asked for.

So here's the point, if God can provide me with a kitchen when I ask for it, He can provide me with how ever many thousand of dollars it takes to adopt a child. I know someone is thinking, Jenny, God giving you an old toy from someone's trash is not the same as God giving you thousands of dollars. But indeed it is the same, do you think it's any harder for God to give me a "small" item than a "big" item, they are all small to God. He created all things and all things belong to Him, He can do with them what He chooses and provide for His people as He sees fit. If God asks you to adopt a child He's not going to ask you to do it alone, and He doesn't want you to do it alone. Just be obedient He will take care of the rest, He will provide all the resources you need, He promises us so in His word. God wants to provide good gifts to His children I encourage you to let Him, it will be such a blessing to watch Him work, it has for me.

"So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them." Mark 11: 22-24

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:9-11

2 comments:

TheLudlows said...

I'm so glad you got your kitchen!!!!!

Unknown said...

You have some wonderful wisdom to share and you share it wonderfully