Monday, March 10, 2008

Why Adopt?

Although we are currently 9 months into this adoption process I will start at beginning with probably the most common question I am asked on this topic, "Why are you adopting?"

While trying to get pregnant with our daughter it took us a little while and I being emotional asked, what if it never happens. So we had a conversation and decided if that if we didn't get pregnant then we would love to adopt, we knew that we would love any child that God chose for us to raise. So when wanting to add to our family our previous conversation came back to us and we knew that we wanted to adopt, no longer as a back up plan but as the main plan. When I read God's word I see His heart for orphans, so I prayed about my role in taking care of them, I asked whether God would have us adopt. He said yes.

Secondly, I think the question of why I want to adopt has the same answer as why I want to be a mother. I was sure I would love the baby that grew in my belly even though I had never met them or seen them, I was sure that I was to be their mother. I feel no different about my chosen child. I can only see a very small piece of the puzzle from where I stand but I know that God has a reason that my baby is to be the unique mix of someone born from another woman, in another country, but raised in our family. Of this I am sure, over the next years of my life I will praise Him as He reveals bits and pieces of the puzzle and I see His hand and His goodness in this plan.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: