Sunday, April 26, 2009

Here I go again...



If you follow my blog you know that I was "crazy" enough to do a two month TV fast last summer. Well, here I go again. Kyle and I decided to do a two week financial fast, that's right spend no money for two weeks.

I'm reading this book,The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun) Guide to Enjoying Life More by Spending Less. It is a great book and is about something more than I thought when I picked it up at the library. It is of course full of tips on how to be, well, a cheapskate. But it is also a reflection on what most of know, spending money often doesn't lead to the fulfillment we were looking for, where spending the evening playing a game with your family can be the best time you've had in months.

While catching up on recording my monthly spending, I saw that we spent 1.5 times our allotted grocery/disposables budget. I was shocked by just how much we had gone over, although I'm not sure why, if you looked in my fridge/freezer/pantry you would know, this lady buys too much food. In my pursuit to save money, I was buying everything on sale, just to repeat it the next week and the next, never able to keep up with eating all the food I was buying. So it was the need to eat up the extra food, and spend 1/2 our normal food budget that I thought we need to do this financial fast. Kyle was thrilled-remember it pains him to spend money, ever, he never wants to know how much something costs.

Next post, our first week reflections on not spending any money.


No comments: