Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What day of summer is it?

We went to the TX Reds festival here in Bryan on Saturday and my friend responded to my constant complaint about the heat, "it is the first day of summer". I was shocked, I mean it is not news to me that June 21st is the first day of summer on an intellectual level, but I was shocked! For those of you who do not live in Texas let me tell you that this has been a "hotter than normal" summer so far. That statement "hotter than normal" makes me laugh because most summers I wonder when the hey! did they calculate those normals. As I watch the weather each evening it is "hotter than normal" according to the weather man. This year the heat started early we went straight from our "spring" where it is actually pleasant outside (to those of us used to the heat) to mid-90s in early May. Every evening I'd watch the news and the high was 10+ degrees above normal and the low was 15+ degrees above normal. But it wasn't a heat wave, no, it was the true beginning of summer. Those temperatures never dropped not even for a day and it has been in the mid to upper 90's for 6 weeks now.

This is what caused me Saturday morning to be daydreaming of our "fall" and for the summer to be over, gladly thinking to myself that soon it would be over, just hours later my friend informed me that it was actually only the FIRST day of summer. This was totally crushing, being a stay at home mom I rarely know concretely what month or day it is, so I genuinely believed the summer was soon to be over.

When I reflect on my childhood in Maryland, I will quickly tell you that I do not miss the snow. I miss the seasons, even winter, I miss fall like an old friend, I miss the summers where going out to enjoy them did not mean risking death, I miss the spring that lasted for more than 1 week, but I do not miss the snow. If someday I again live somewhere with seasons, and a summer that does not last 5+ months, I will say, I miss Texas dearly, but I do not miss the heat!

No comments: