Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What Kylynn has taught me about fashion (take II)

One of life's many surprises when it comes raising children is watching Kylynn develop her love for fashion.  Let's just say that I unconsciously only buy solid color clothes and often will buy a shirt I like in three or four colors, I am boring when it comes to my fashion choices and Kyle well he wears your typical business atire, everyday.  So Kylynn, mainly influenced by her own creativity and perhaps inherited some genes from her aunt Jessie, breathes new life into me when I see her come down in the morning for school.


By pure will she convinced me to allow her to dress herself around two and a half and has been going strong ever since.  Her style is all her own and let's just say I take notice when she has a day where she wears a matching outfit, it's few and far between.  But even though sometimes I falter for a moment and think, really you are going to embarrass me, I love her style.  I love that she dresses for her alone and it has never occurred to her to try and fit into someone else's mold.

This is what I've been learning from her lately, I spend entirely too much time worrying about what other people think about me.  There are outfits I love myself in that I always end up changing out of before I leave the house because I'm worried that I'm not really "cool enough" to pull it off (and I'm not but who cares!) or that I feel like I shouldn't wear because they're for skinny people.  But she has taught me that people look beautiful when they love what they're wearing that people who feel beautiful are beautiful.


She reminds me daily that our fashion choices are a way to express who we are, and when did I decide that who I am is someone safe, and plain, and easily forgotten.  Kylynn's outfits grab people's attention. But then they get to know her and stay captivated by who she is, kind and loving, happy and funny, smart and independent.  She knows who she is, and she loves who she is.  I want to be like that more often, I want to dress like that more often.  Maybe I should start letting her pick out my clothes....

4 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

I love her boots!!! Isaac is the same way with his clothes. And I am just like you. All solids, all the time! BORING!!! We could learn a lot from Kylynn!

Yvonne said...

Yes, I'm all about solids. Not sure why. But I love your insights on the importance of no caring and wearing what you like. And I love seeing Kylynn's personal style!!

Walsh Family said...

Kylynn is a doll!!!!!!! Love this :D

Barbara said...

I love this post. I also have to say that Kylynn's boots are awesome. Cowboy boots aren't popular in this area, and I don't know when I'd wear them if I had them, but man, I love them. Perhaps I have to take a note from K and just wear what makes me happy.