Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Try, try again

I have a bit of trouble with patience, not to mention worry, and doubt, so it shouldn't have surprised me when I began to feel like Jack's speech therapy was doomed a full three sessions in.  Yes, I am that short sighted.  After three sessions he hadn't made any progress (uh duh!) and didn't want to practice with me, so I began to let my head wander, what if...

Today Jack had his fourth session, he goes twice a week, and he mastered where to place his tongue to say the "d" sound, not only that he was excited to show me where he puts his tongue and practice making that sound.  It was a good day!

This is the third speech therapist I've experienced and I want to encourage other moms out there, if you think your therapist is not doing a good job, go find another one!  Especially if your child was born with a cleft, find someone who understands how to work with children with clefts.  We have found an amazing therapist and she is night and day better than the first one we experienced.  Jack loves going so much he thinks it's is bi-weekly fun play day.  She told me today that he so smart that if she tries to just pull out the flash cards, he says oh no!  So she's found all these neat ways to trick him into therapy, love that lady!

Next time I begin to decide all is hopeless after a few times of trying with my kids can someone please remind me that learning takes time and patience is virtue.  I think I will especially need this reminder, perhaps several times a day, when potty training Jack.

1 comment:

everythingismeowsome said...

It is so easy to get into the "right now" mindset in all aspects of our lives--especially with our kids. I think God gives us children to teach us all sorts of life lessons. Patience and perseverance are such a huge ones!!!!