Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Nursing an adopted child

I remember in the hospital after giving birth to Kylynn, the peditrian came in and asked me how nursing was going. It was going okay, but was still difficult at that time. I remember clear as day that he then said to me, "Don't worry it's hard for everyone, I don't know of anyone who would say that nursing was one of life's great experiences". Obviously he was a man who doesn't know a lot of the woman I know.

Since that time (including may stay at the hospital) I have met several women who would in fact say that breast feeding their baby(s) was one of life's great experiences. I also learned that I was one of those women. I nursed Kylynn till she was 19 months and it was not a burden but one of the greatest experiences in my life.

So, when I mourn different aspects of adoption, I mourn the loss of nursing this child. I think more than anything else I feel this loss the most. But I want to encourage anyone out there reading this blog who is considering adoption. You can in fact nurse an adopted child (especially if you are part of an adoption where you receive the child as a newborn).

If this is something you would like more information on please read this blog from Sit a Spell .

No comments: