Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's Olympics time!


That's right, the TV fast is no more. In fact I have gone to other extreme, I turn on the TV throughout the day, to see what sport is on, and watch every single night during prime time. I absolutely love the Olympics, especially the summer games!

My favorite sport is women's gymnastics, but I also love the swimming and diving. Yesterday I was watching beach volleyball and that was really good too. It's only day two but already I'm really bugging Kylynn. For the past two months the only time the TV was on was to let her watch an Elmo video, so she is peeved that I keep saying no to her request to watch an Elmo video, telling her no we're going to watch the Olympics! She does not catch my enthusiasm. Today she did sit with me and watch swimming, I bribed her with popcorn, but we had a great time.

I can't help but reflect that the Olympics came at a perfect time in my life. I need the distraction, something to keep my mind off of the desire to fly to our adoption country and bring my baby home. It also seems like pretty good timing for our country as a whole, it reminds us just how proud we are to be Americans. It brings us together, reminding us of all we have in common, instead of what separates us, like who we're voting for in November. It's a nice reminder, our country needs to come together, to focus on what binds us together, not bickering over our differences.

So, I encourage you, go turn on your TV to NBC! Watch the Olympics, cheer for the U.S.A! Enjoy those great human interest stories that always make you cry (you know it's true). Look at the smog in China and say, wow! I'm blessed to live where I can breathe. It's a great time to be an American.

No comments: