Saturday, July 16, 2011

Library Day


I have always had a fascination with libraries, they are one of my favorite places on this earth.  I have rarely visited a town without spending time in their library, often amazed by just how nice even small town libraries are, disappointed that I don't possess the ability to check out a book, magazine, or DVD that catches my eye.  I remember a summer when a traveling library came to our neighborhood, a book mobile, and the excitement and anticipation I felt walking home with my latest read was pure joy.


In the heat of Texas summers the library is a haven for both me and my children.  I love our library located in downtown, where the children's section is big and secluded and they have almost as many toys as books.  We take back our bag full of books and leave with so many books and movies, I have to kick Jack out of the stroller in favor of the book bag.  The kiddos love the treat of each getting to pick out a movie all by themselves, and so we are often found watching Christmas movies in July (Jack's favorite choice) or The Sleeping Beauty ballet (Kylynn's choice).


When we get home the kids cannot wait to look through their stash of books, I spend my time picking out as many for them as they do.  They dump the bag out and begin to look through one and then another, not knowing how to read they are each consumed quickly, greedily.  Kylynn's latest fascination is books on CDs, we spend a long time looking through the choices, finding some suitable to her age, and we actually find several.  She will ask on this day alone, "is it rest time yet?"  She longs to go to her room turn on her audio book, then sit in her bed, surrounded by piles on books, to get to spend a whole hour enjoying each one.


The library is no longer about me, although admittedly I enjoy just being there.  I cannot find the strength or parenting skills to browse books with three children in tote.  But thanks to the internet I am still able to leave with a stack in hand.  I request the books and movies I want before hand and they are waiting for me when I check out.  And on library day I long for the kid's rest time just a little more than the other days, to curl up on my bed and get lost in a book.  To reclaim those feeling of joy from my childhood, the anticipation of falling into a new world, the excitement of finding new people to love.

1 comment:

everythingismeowsome said...

Oh, we love the library too! We're going to have to look into those audio books--I think the boys would like them!